Pages

Saturday 11 May 2013

Caragh's Review // Finale (Hush, Hush #4) - Becca Fitzpatrick

Published - 1st October 2012
Publisher - Simon and Schuster
Format - Paperback
Synopsis - Fates unfurl in the gripping conclusion to the "New York Times" bestselling Hush, Hush saga.Nora is more certain than ever that she is in love with Patch. Fallen angel or no, he is the one for her. Her heritage and destiny may mean they are fated to be enemies, but there is no turning her back on him. Now Nora and Patch must gather their strength to face one last, perilous trial. Old enemies return, new enemies are made, and a friend's ultimate betrayal threatens the peace Patch and Nora so desperately want. The battle lines are drawn--but which sides are they on? And in the end, are there some obstacles even love can't conquer?

Hush, Hush Review - click here
Crescendo Review -  click here
Silence Review - click here 

Hurrah! I was starting to wonder if I would ever get around to finishing this series. As you can probably gather from my previous reviews, this series and I just do not mix. Out of an irrational sense of duty to myself, I continued reading and finally, it's over. I did it. Surprisingly.

One thing that's different between this review and the my previous ones is that I didn't end this book with an overwhelming feeling of anger. I laughed. Genuinely, perhaps madly, laughed. Finale took a leap and just became hilariously ridiculous. I didn't get angry at Nora, or Patch. I didn't shake my head in disbelief. I just found everything overly funny. I think anger might have made for a better review but i'll do my best.

This series gets a lot of hate, and of course a lot of that comes from me, but there were actually parts of the book that I liked and thought were well written. Dante's character grew wonderfully and although tensions and the flirting was reminiscent of early Patch and therefore felt a little stale, I enjoyed it and the relationship between him and other characters. The idea of this book, and the entire series really, is good. It has great potential that is disappointingly never met and that is what compels me to keep reading (if you were wondering why I spent hard earned money and time on a series I hate); in the hope it improves.Four books in and unfortunately, nothing changed.

It feels like Fitzpatrick tried to surprise her readers over and over with plot twists that were noticable from a million miles away. If she had accepted the fact that her readers weren't oblivious, I think it would have been more enjoyable.

Vee will always a point of frustration for me, even more so than Nora (which is a LOT). Right from the first book I had huge hopes for her. She was fun, exciting and adventurous; the complete opposite of Nora, but she just..flopped. Fitzpatrick didn't do her justice and by the end of the book she was laughable. It's hard to explain without spoilers but Fitzpatrick, as always, took it too far and just made the whole situation a joke and the same goes for Detective Basso.

Basso is one of the most interesting characters in the series as he's set up to be mysterious and without fail i've questioned just what it is he's up to and the resolve of his character was a major letdown. He's explained in about 5 lines and it's just not good enough. That sums up the series for me. The interesting sections of the books were the ones that were brushed over and made to feel pathetic whereas the rest took the spotlight and failed miserably.

I don't regret finishing the series - at least Brianna and I had a good laugh about it along the way - but I can say with certainty that I wont be reading them again and I wouldn't recommend them either unless you feel like taking on a four-book series just to vent some frustration.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...