Pages

Monday 6 July 2015

Caragh Reviews // Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Published - 1st May 2011
Publisher - Orbit
Format - Kindle
Synopsis - Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard P.I. Turns out that 'everyday' world is full of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Harry is the best at what he does - and not just because he's the only one who does it. So whenever the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal capabilities, they look to him for answers. But business isn't just slow, it stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get . . . interesting.

The Dresden Files series is one of my boyfriend's favourites and he's been trying for SO long to get me to read them! Being the stubborn woman that I am, naturally i've put it off for over a year or so :P Just when he'd stopped asking, I decided it was time to see what the fuss was about.

I'll admit that I can be a bit snobbish when it comes to what books i'll read. When Storm Front was first described to me as a  'Wizard P.I crime book', I was quick to laugh, judge and cross it off completely. However i'm also someone who believes in 'a book for a book'. I've recommended a fair few books to him now which he's taken on board and read so it was only fair that I did the same. I've eaten a lot of humble pie since.

It was really surprising. A world in which magic exists and is kind of, normal, is really fresh and new to me! It got off to a slow start but honestly, i'm not sure whether the book was at fault or whether it was my own prejudices that went against me.  It didn't last long though as mystery will always suck me in eventually; so many lives were at stake, magic was turning nasty, humans getting caught in the crossfire.I'm not even sure if Storm Front could be placed into a genre as it covers so many of them. Because of this it's quite difficult to pin point anything to really talk about without spoilers. If I had to compare it to TV shows, i'd put in the same category as Castle - but with magic. 

Mostly what I got out of Storm Front was that reading outside of my comfort zone really can pay off!

2 comments:

Strange-buzz said...

One day I will get over my unfounded prejudice against magic... as after reading and loving 'Grim Reaper PI crime book' (First Grave on the Right) I still laugh at 'Wizard PI crime book'

I just need to get over the 'magic' bit... which is still weird as there is so many books I love that have magic

Loaded Shelves said...

You would actually LOVE this book! It's exactly the sort of thing you always want. Bones/Castle-y but magic and sci-fi-/fantasy too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...