Pages

Tuesday 28 July 2015

Caragh Reviews // Withering Tights by Louise Rennison

Published - 8th July 2011
Publisher - HarperTeen
Format - Kindle
Synopsis Picture the scene: Dother Hall performing arts college somewhere Up North, surrounded by rolling dales, bearded cheesemaking villagers (male and female) and wildlife of the squirrely-type. On the whole, it’s not quite the showbiz experience Tallulah was expecting… but once her mates turn up and they start their ‘FAME! I’m gonna liiiiive foreeeeeever, I’m gonna fill my tiiiiights’ summer course things are bound to perk up. Especially when the boys arrive. (When DO the boys arrive?) Six weeks of parent-free freedom. BOY freedom. Freedom of expression… cos it’s the THEATRE dahling, the theatre!!

Growing up, I LOVED Louise Rennison's Georgia Nicholson books. Absolutely hilarious and filled with jaw-dropping, cringe-worthy moments that made every teenage feel just that little bit more normal. When the Tallulah Casey books started coming out, I meant to get to them straight away but somehow totally forgot about them - which is a shame really as I think i've left it too late.

As I get closer to *ahem* 30... I've had to face that great question of whether certain books are too young for me to enjoy. Gladly, I have realised that actually, no book is too 'young' or 'old', it's all a matter of subject and writing styles etc. Sadly (and I really mean that), there wasn't much in Withering Tights that really kept me interested. It was funny and a lot like Georgia's books but at the same time it felt too far away from me. I couldn't really get involved with the characters and as much as I was rooting for Tallulah and her misadventures, i'll admit it felt a little bit too cringy.

I have no doubt that over the years i'll continue to read Tallulah's stories and i'll grow to love her as much as I do Georgia. However, in terms of sitting down and expecting a great read - I probably should have known better before I started! It has inspired me to perhaps dig out the old Georgia books and rekindle my friendship with her though :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...