Pages

Sunday 21 April 2013

Caragh's Review // Uglies - Scott Westerfeld

Published - 29th March 2012
Publisher - Simon and Schuster
Format - Paperback
Synopsis - Tally can't wait to turn sixteen and become pretty. Sixteen is the magic number that brings a transformation from repellent Ugly into a stunningly attractive Pretty, and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks, Tally will be there. But Tally's new friend, Shay, isn't sure she wants to be Pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the Pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn Pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

If you've been following this blog, you'll know that this has been on my TBR for way too long and as promised, I finally read the first book in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series! Possibly some spoilers here, be warned!

Sometimes, it can be hard to really get into a book when you already know what's going on. I guess that's the problem with reading books so long after they were first published. Totally NOT the case with Uglies though! Hurrah! From start to end I was just so excited! Tally and Shay were the perfect characters for me; sassy, exciting, adventurous, and rebellious whilst still fitting in their world. I adore dystopian-esque books but this one just had that something different. When Tally left to find Shay, though I was curious to learn more about the world and what was happening outside etc, I was a little sad about leaving the Ugly/Pretty world. This is a 4 book series and I have no idea how the rest of the books play out, but I wanted to stay and learn more about the first world and before I knew it I was thrust into something else! I really loved it actually. The reader was just as confused as Tally and we got to take that adventure with her.

I don't know if it was just me, or whether Westerfeld's writing directs me that way, but I felt really untrusting of everyone. Even Tally to some extent. The world was cold and harsh but it was still relateable which was sort of scary, really. I think that plays a part in why I was distrusting - I could see elements in it that made me uncomfortable and I was bracing myself for the backlash I suppose. Uglies felt believable and emotional in a way that i've come to love in dystopian fiction. It says a lot about the world when dystopian fiction becomes more like reality than romcoms..! However, even with the realism and being pulled into the text and the world, it's still fun. There were a lot of parts where I was laughing and smiling (hello, hover boards!). The perfect mix.

With so many books piling up around me, i'm not sure when i'll get to read the next one but i'm making time for it SOON. Definitely recommend this one guys!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...