Pages

Wednesday 8 January 2014

INTRODUCING: Classics Decoded


How many times have you sat there thinking, "I'm going to read that classic!" If you're anything like me, that is only ever when i'm forced to (pushy parents/teachers). So what is it that puts you off?
Length? Outdated? Stuffy? Irrelevant? Complicated language?

That's what I think too, but you know what? It's actually not true! Many of the books  we consider as "classic lit" are still very much relevant and worth a read - or so Caragh tells me. Over the course of the year we are going to try to decode 6 classics - 2 of which YOU can choose! We will read the books for you and break it down, try to make it more accessible and tell you why it actually is relevant. Whatever your reasons are for avoiding the classics, we hope we can inspire you (and ourselves!) to finally pick up that classic that you've always wondered about without getting your brain in a muddle.

The first book we're going to look at is Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'. Our post about Dracula will be up in February so feel free to read along with us before we reveal what we've found next month!

Leave comments with suggestions for the 2 classic lit books YOU want US to read and decode!

2 comments:

Josh Caporale said...

What a brilliant idea! I read "Dracula" as well last year and what confuses me most seems to be the transitions in the narration, which is exactly how I felt with "Frankenstein."

Speaking of which, "Frankenstein" will be my first suggestion. I will have to think about the other.

Have you read "How to Read Literature Like a Professor?" A really good read!

Loaded Shelves said...

Frankenstein is a great suggestion! We'll add it to our list of potentials :) I haven't read the book you recommended but i'll keep an eye out for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...