Pages

Friday 17 February 2012

Book Survey

Taken from Kayley

1. Favorite childhood book?
Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling.
2. What are you reading right now?
Essays by George Orwell.
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None. I only use the library for criticism books and even then I prefer to buy them if possible. I like to highlight!
4. Bad book habit?
I don't actually have any that i'm aware of.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
None.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
I do! I have a Kindle (called Sherlock) and I love it. I was very dubious about it at first as i'm a great lover of physical books and everything that goes with it. It's great though and I love being able to get books in seconds rather than having to wait until I can travel and buy some.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I definitely prefer one at a time but it's not possible when studying English Literature. I usually have about 4 on the go (3 for uni, 1 for relaxing).
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Not really. I've always read a wide range of books, but I think i'm more aware of genres now. I plan to spend less time reading YA and more time with classics. Not for any pretentious reason, I just love those kinds of books and tend to forget about them once university is finished in summer.
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Richard III by Shakespeare. I am a Shakespeare fan but not so much of the history plays. I enjoyed the context but the play itself seemed to be a chore.
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Quite often! At the moment i'm reading Essays by George Orwell and that's something I would usually avoid but i'm loving it! It is really interesting and I would definitely recommend it.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Fantasy & YA
13. Can you read on the bus?
No, it makes me sick :(
14. Favorite place to read?
On my bed! Cuddled up with blankets and a steaming mug of tea <3
15. What is your policy on book lending?
It is fun to lend out books and share reading experiences but certain people always return them looking atrocious and it's terrible. Books cost a lot of money and they don't seem to care when it's not their own.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
No.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
If it is a book solely for university then yes, every time. I generally highlight or keep it pristine though.
18. Not even with text books?
^
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English
20. What makes you love a book?
How closely I connect with the characters and their stories. The overall story could be quite poor but if the individual stories are interesting then I grow to love it. 
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If i've read it myself and enjoyed it, and feel that I can accurately sell the story.
22. Favorite genre?
I tend to read fantasy because I can get through them quickly as they're exciting and new, but I don't have a favourite genre really.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Sci-fi! I love sci-fi but it gets put on the back burner due to my limited reading. Most of my yearly reading is academic.
24. Favorite biography?
I don't really read them.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Nope.
26. Favorite cookbook?
I don't have one.
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
28. Favorite reading snack?
I don't tend to eat whilst i'm reading (dirty pages!) but I drink a lot of tea.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Nothing comes to mind but i'm sure there are some! I'm going to read The Hunger Games ASAP so that could be one of them.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I only read the criticism of university books and it's not to agree, it's just purely for research.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I'm honest, so if the book is bad it deserves a bad review. People wouldn't read my blog if they didn't like the types of books I read/my opinion.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
Probably French but only because there have been so many snippets of French in books i've read that required me to go and look up a translation or figure out dimly with my useless knowledge I already have.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? 
Another book I have on my 'currently reading' list is Vanity Fair. The sheer size of it is quite intimidating.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. My friends love it and highly recommend it and I love the TV adaptation (Legend of the Seeker). I'm afraid the books might not be what I hope!
35. Favorite Poet?
Edgar Allan Poe.
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
None.
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Once. It was half read and I do plan to pick it up again some day.
38. Favorite fictional character? 
I couldn't choose.
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Draco Malfoy.
40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
I want to read His Dark Materials books whilst in Norway. Yeah...
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
A few weeks maybe.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
I'm struggling with bringing myself to finish The Rainbow. I started it over a year ago now and I just can't get into it! I might try and get it for my Kindle and hope the different reading experiences changes anything.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Nothing.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Eragon (Christopher Paolini)
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Oh, over £100 easy.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never. I don't want to ruin it.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Being thrown into another book (university) or general disinterest. I always finish eventually though.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
I have a special kind of system :P
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Keep.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Hmm none that I can think of. I'm pretty open to most books/genres. It just might take me a while to actually get around to reading it.
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Like Kayley, I choose Breaking Dawn. Not because of the same reasons though and I did enjoy parts of it and the whole series. I just thought things had got too ridiculous and that I was cheated out of a real story. It doesn't stop me re-reading it though.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
The one i'm reading currently.
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller.
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
All of my reading is guilt-free (I love to read!) but I guess in other peoples' eyes, it would be Twilight.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...