Pages

Thursday 23 February 2012

Review // A Study In Scarlet - Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet is the introduction to Sherlock Holmes. The detective fiction series feature Sherlock Holmes and Doctor John Watson. Together they solve mysteries and have become perhaps the biggest fictional detectives in the world.

This was the first time i'd ever read a Sherlock Holmes book or infact, anything by Arthur Conan Doyle. As a big fan of the BBC TV show, Sherlock, I picked up the collection for my Kindle.

The story is set in two parts. The first section was truly enjoyable. I got to appreciate how well the Sherlock on TV is in comparison to the real man on the page and they are very similar. I loved the relationship between Holmes and Watson and the general feel of the story as well as the text itself.
However, the second half of the story was very confusing for me. I did understand what was going on (eventually) but the digression and commentary of puritan living seemed unnecessary. I think perhaps that was just my reading of it though as I read it over quite a long period.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series, but not for a while I would imagine. A definite for any Sherlock fan but perhaps not for a quick read ;)

Goodreads Challenge 10/50
Chick Lit Challenge 0/5
Debut Author Challenge 2/5
Dystopian Challenge 2/5
Paranormal Fantasy Challenge 2/5

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...